If you have suffered a myocardial infarction (MI, heart attack), your doctor most likely recommended physical therapy rehabilitation. Participating in a rehabilitation program can help you improve strength and endurance as well as reduce your chance of having another heart attack. A number of exercises and therapy are offered through physical therapy intervention that will help maintain or improve heart health for many patients.
Cardiac rehabilitation (cardiac rehab) is a professionally supervised program to help people recover from heart attacks, heart surgery and percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) procedures such as stenting and angioplasty. Cardiac rehab programs usually provide education and counseling services to help heart patients increase physical fitness, reduce cardiac symptoms, improve health and reduce the risk of future heart problems, including heart attack.
Reduce Your Odds of Having Another Heart Attack
Studies show that cardiac rehabilitation, especially if started very soon after a heart attack, can reduce the likelihood that you’ll suffer another heart attack by up to 50%. But, it’s important to choose the right rehabilitation program. Evergreen Health and Rehab uses advanced rehabilitation techniques and a tailored approach to meet patient needs. Your personal health care team will work with you to meet your rehabilitation goals, while taking into consideration the type and severity of your heart attack.
Who should try our program?
You or a loved one should try our program if you or they have or have had:
- Heart attack
- Heart condition, such as coronary artery disease (CAD), angina or heart failure
- Heart procedure or surgery, including coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery, percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), including coronary angioplasty (balloon angioplasty) and stenting, valve replacement, or a pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
Enroll in our program today. By working together, we can help improve your recovery from heart attack.
What can you expect in our program?
- A medical evaluation to figure out your needs and limitations. The medical staff uses this information to tailor a rehabilitation program for you and help you set goals.
- A physical activity program tailored to your needs. You may work with a physical therapist, exercise physiologist or other healthcare professional. You learn how to check your heart rate and your level (intensity) of activity. Later, you work up to more intense aerobic activity on a treadmill or exercise bike.
- Counseling and education to help you understand your condition and how to manage it. You may work with a dietitian to create a healthy eating plan. If you smoke, you may get counseling on how to stop. Counseling may also help you cope with depression, anger and stress during your recovery.
- Support and training to help you return to work or your normal activities and to help you learn to manage your heart condition.
How can you get help?
You should speak to your doctor or contact the Evergreen Health and Rehab about enrolling in our Heart Attack Recovery Program. A quick professional health evaluation is all you need to get started recovering from your heart attack.